Today was such a beautiful day! My kiddos and I planted roses in the front of our house today. Well, Gage dug some holes and cut the grass with scissors. I weeded the flower beds, took a garden hoe to 'em, put some crazy chemical called Preen down to kill anything and everything that isnt my precious new flowers, and thus planted "Queen Pinks" in the front flower beds.
I figured roses wouldnt hurt. I've never done any actual gardening of my own. I've helped with my parents yard quite a bit. And even helped maintain the Walmart on 56th. My dad owns a maintenance/landscaping company, and he said I wouldnt be able to kill roses. Plus, roses are a full sun plant. Our house faces south sooooo the roses should....not....die.
I have really been dying to get my hands into some soil and enjoy the outdoors ever since Jay and I have been married. When I was little my mom always gave us(my sis and I) a piece of the garden to do whatever we wanted with. But we had to plant flowers or veggies. Sometimes nothing would come up but other times we would get a whole bunch of whatever we planted. I think dad would go out and replant things to make sure we werent disappointed after planting seeds and then digging them out looking for potato bugs.
But at the duplex I was afraid to do anything, even make a pot garden. No, not the wacky weed, but veggies in pots. I killed a lavander in a pot the first year we were married. I thought those we supposed to be indestructable......it died a few weeks later, thanks to my former black thumb. Anyway, Maryanne(former landlord) was sooo insane about her garden that I wouldnt even let Gage play in the front yard. It was beautiful though.
I vowe to keep my plants alive! I'm even going to get some plant food and fertilizer for the Queen Pinks and pamper them like little chihauhaus with diamond collars.
Is it weird to be almost obsessing about roses like those crazy little old ladies?
This is how I know I am getting old. Gardening is a fantastic hobby! Where can I get some Allysium and Marigolds! Ahhh! I even know the difference between anual and perenial, full sun and full shade. I also think a rose of Sharon is going to look AWESOME in the patio corner. Yes, I am getting old---er
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment