Friday, March 6, 2009

black sludge creeping into places where it shouldnt be!!!

So, we bought an old house and have been so called "renovating" it. But I have been starting to love it. I didnt like it at first but now that I have stripped wallpaper from every single room, and thus, painted every single room....I now like it.
Its called "grandpa's house". Because the old man that lived there previous to us died. And it looked like Mr. Rogers house when we made the initial visit.

Dont ever put contact paper up as wallpaper. What the heck was Mrs. Grandpa thinking!!! It took ALOT of soaking and scraping to get that crap down!!! Although, we gave up and primed it in one of the rooms and painted over it. It worked good! We should have done that with the rest of the house! It would have saved us 2 days!!

So much paint. Too much paint. Arms sore. Clothes ruined. Brain cells dead.

So now that the walls are pretty, we are planning on replacing the hideous floors sometime in the near future. Also getting a french door to replace the sliding glass door, that has NO lock!.....we have a baseball bat and a stick protecting us from bad guys until the french door can be payed for..........hopefully very soon. Was grandpa not afraid of getting his precious housewares stolen?....or much worse, getting mugged in the middle of the night?

Weird things are going on in this 60+ year old house. We turned the kitchen faucet on and the bathroom sink overflowed.....awe suck! It costed us $589.36 to have all the draines cleaned and fixed....hey, at least we can shower and wash dishes now:) Thats where the sludge came in. When the plumber/rooter man cleaned the kitched drain it spewed black sludge from the wall. He showed me the pipe and it was solid black sludge! Grosss! Grandpa probly never had the drains cleaned according to the rooter man.

Grandpa didnt like matching flooring either. He prefered peel and stick lenoleum. The kitchen is that icky peel and stick old stuff. Gages room is lenoleum in the nastiest color ever! MacKeltys room is gold shag. The master bedroom is a combo of peel and stick vinyl, subflooring in a beautiful sticky black and orange fleshy colored peel and sticks. But the living room isnt too bad, its some kind of light colored berber.

The house really isnt as hideous as I make it out to be. Its actually a cute little cottage-ee type home. We didnt buy it for the flooring but for the charm. It has an awesome covered patio right off the back door, a big yard for the kids to play, mature trees(although in need of a good pruning), a workshop complete with tools and "man stuff" for Jay and Gage-o. It also has a garage and a master suite.
It also has alot of the original fixtures and built-ins with original hardwear. The house has the original windows but those will need replacing before winter. They make the house look antique, which I like.

Grandpa may have been an eccentric old man. Maybe he just liked piles of rocks? He has piles of rocks everywhere.Who knows? All I can do is shrug my shoulders.
I think he also had a thing for big spikey rip your arm off trees. There is a mighty big tree in the front yard with wicked looking spikes jutting out from every inch of it. And lots of really old rose bushes with flesh piercing thorns just waiting to get me.

So all in all, this is a wonderful house and I am falling more and more in love with it day by day(by changing it to all the things I want in it day by day:).

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you really do like it.. at first I was thinking.. why buy a house you hate? Ah, jealousy.. I've been thinking more and more about living in a house. I haven't lived in a real house since HS. I miss it. I wish I could afford it. I am not jealous of the $500 fee.. but I'd deal with it if I had a house. :D Congrats!

    ReplyDelete